Friday, July 1, 2011

Day Nine

Day nine was another day of very smokey air.  We lounged around inside the coach all morning to stay in the a/c, then Jim and Sam went back to Jekyll Island in the afternoon to go geocaching.  There are lots of hidden caches on the island, ranging from micro to medium sized.  I opted not to go out as I was not feeling up to the heat – another day in the mid 90’s.  About an hour-and-a-half later, I heard thunderclaps, and Buster was plastered to my lap, panting like crazy.  He is very frightened of thunder!  I figured I was going to see two wet explorers coming home in a little while!

Sam called a little while later to tell me that they saw a tornado!  I was thinking it was more along the lines of a water spout, but he was really describing the torrential downpour they were trapped in while sitting in the car!  He later informed me that they had been in a huge storm, and even saw hailstones – a first time for him, so that was the highlight of the day!  Before the rain, he had also seen a white-tailed deer from only about twenty feet away, and had managed to snap a couple of pics before it wandered off.  They had only managed to find one geocache before the rain hit, but they still had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment