Friday, August 15, 2014

Year Four - Day Seventy-Five


Sam’s View
Today me and daddy went kayaking! We saw sea otters, kelp, rocks, birds, and lots of jellyfish! Some were big and some were small. We went all the way around Yukon Island! It was big. Also we saw a rock called Elephant Rock. It looked like an elephant!



Summer’s View
While Sam and Jim went kayaking, I took a boat through Rainbow Tours to check out Gull Island and spend the afternoon in Seldovia, AK.  At Gull Island, I saw several new birds to add to my list, including Tufted Puffins!  As we were on our way to Seldovia, we passed Sam and Jim in their kayaking tour around Yukon Island – lol.

Along the way to Seldovia, we spotted a small humpback whale, and rafts of sea otters swimming along. They are so cute and curious! The guide said they spend 90% of their lives in the water.
 
In Seldovia, I strolled around the boardwalk area and took some beautiful pics of the homes and businesses along the water’s edge. I had some lunch at a local diner, but I was really struck by how quiet it was on the island. It didn’t occur to me what noise was missing until I saw a car go by, and I realized it was street noise from cars! People have to bring over their vehicles by a special ferry to get them to the island, but there is no regular ferry service, so visitors do not drive here. While I was having lunch, a sea otter was sleeping in the harbor, just floating along on his back, the epitome of peace and quiet.
 
On the ride back to Homer, we spotted another humpback whale, this one was huge! It put it’s huge fluke into the air as it went into a deep dive – beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment